To accomplish its mission of providing each student with a strong academic program in a safe, nurturing and supportive environment, each year the School Board establishes goals and priorities that provide a framework for the district’s continuous improvement efforts.
Goals for the 2016-17 school year are as follows:
Goal 1 - High Quality Teaching, Learning, and Enrichment
Provide high quality instruction for all students in an aligned P-12 system resulting in increased student achievement and successful college and career readiness.
Areas of laser focus: student perseverance skills; every student challenged and supported-both high and low achieving; teacher mentoring program; data-based decision making
- Successfully introduce the iReady universal screener into the K-12 curricula.
- Re-introduce the ‘Class Project’ mentoring program for teachers in a financially sustainable fashion
- Continue to ingrain and develop Multi-Tier Systems of Support at the elementary level and further expand the educational approach into the secondary.
- Sustain PSD Extended Learning Program.
- Continue the district’s focus on cultural competency through professional development and by seeking and building outside partnerships.
- Improve student attendance by increasing non-traditional pathways to graduation and promoting high interest activities and programs.
- Maintain AP/dual credit/Eastern Promise/CTE courses while balancing elementary class sizes.
- Research and build staff focus on the achievement gap relative to every school.
- Successfully transition the CTE and alternative programs into the new facility and begin working to integrate the two programs with PHS.
Goal 2 – Safe, Healthy, and Nurturing Environment
Provide an educational environment where students are safe, supported and empowered in their learning.
Areas of laser focus: staff empowerment with disruptive student behavior; dress code enforcement
- Maintain Positive Behavior Supports Systems at the elementary level and expand this approach into the secondary.
- Foster a positive school climate throughout the district.
- Develop and implement staff and student emergency responses through realistic drills and practice.
- Revise the district emergency plans and building emergency procedures to match ‘I Love U Guys’ procedures
Goal 3 – Outreach, Involvement, and Partnerships
Leverage our skills and resources with parents and community partners to strengthen P-12 educational programs.
Areas of laser focus: increase family involvement opportunities to ensure student success; enhance community and tribal partnerships; successful P-Tech CTE program opening
- Refine the PSD Career Technical Education Program through a focus on student/community needs and expanded business/industrial partnerships.
- Continue efforts to increase parental involvement and expand parent education opportunities.
- Cultivate a positive relationship with the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation.
- Develop early learning partnerships locally and at the state level in order to establish a seamless P-12 system.
- Develop Community partners to increase student engagement and parent involvement.
Goal 4 – Strategic Plan Development
Use the DLT and a diverse Steering Committee to finish creating a new strategic plan for 2017-2022.
Areas of laser focus: the plan will have a vision, mission, core values and strategies as before but will also add outcomes, key indicators and measurable target goals for a comprehensive 5 year plan.
- Provide the needed communication and logistics to create a long-term strategic plan.
- Work to ensure that the work of the DLT is considered and incorporated into a new district strategic plan.
- Ensure that the final strategic plan includes the tools and organizational structure for ongoing implementation.